We made it through another week! Happy Friday all, are you ready for the weekend? I sure am. Alright, the last few weeks I’ve been posting healthy, savory recipes this week we are going to go to the other end of the spectrum: something sweet. Now, I love old family recipes, around Christmas time I shared the gingerbread recipe. Today’s is similar but from the other side of my family. Buttermilk Cake (I always treat it as a pond cake) that you can change the flavor once you have the base down.
- 1 C. Crisco (vegetable shortening)
- 2 C. Sugar
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 3 C. Sifted Flour
- ½ Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 C. Buttermilk
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Lemon Extract
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
If you want to make Lemon-Poppy Seed bread you will also need:
- 1 additional Tsp. Lemon Extract
- 1Tbs. Lemon Zest
- 4 Tbs. Poppy Seeds
If you want to make Lemon-Blueberry Bread exchange the poppy seeds for 1 C. washed and dried fresh blueberries.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. In a bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
- In a mixed combine crisco, sugar and eggs. Mix until creamy. Add buttermilk and extracts. If making lemon breads add zest at this point.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until everything is combined. If making poppy seed bread, add poppy seeds at this point.
- If making blueberry bread gently stir in blueberries.
- Grease and flour 2-3 loaf pans. Pour equal amounts of batter into each. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
This is the lemon-blueberry variety. A great treat for the spring and summer!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I have over the years. It is great for breakfast with coffee or tea. Have a great Friday!