Keltin loves pickles and especially dill pickles. We recently ended up with some pickling cucumber and I thought that I’d try my hand at turning them into actual pickles. I don’t have the equipment to properly “can” these, so these are refrigerator pickles only. I have a ton of fresh dill leaves from my areo-garden and decided to use them rather than dill seeds. Also, this is my first time making anything like this so please take my instructions with a grain of salt.
- 3 C. White Vinegar
- 3 1/2 C. Water
- 4 Tbs. Salt
- 2 Tbs. Whole Peppercorns
- 6 Cloves Garlic – Roughly Chopped
- 2/3 C. Fresh Dill
- 3 Pickling Cucumbers
- 2 24 Oz, Mason Jars
- Make sure your jars are clean and dry, wide mouthed jars are easier to use.
- Slice your cucumbers about a 1/4 in. thick if you want chips. They can also to sliced into spears or left whole depending on your preference.
- In a sauce pain bring the vinegar, water, and salt to a rolling boil. Turn the heat off once the salt as dissolved.
- In the first mason jar alternate lays of sliced cucumber and dill, garlic and peppercorns. Repeat the process for the second jar.
- Fill the jars with the brine and seal with lids. Let cool before placing in the refrigerator.
- Wait at least 48 hours before eating.
We have not yet tried these. We are going to ‘try’ and wait a week before breaking into them, but I will update you after they have been opened. If you have made something similar I’d love to know your recipe or better techniques. Happy Friday!