Hey everyone, I’m sorry, I know you were expecting cookies this week but I have not had time to make them yet. Life keeps me busy but I’ll get to them. Anyway my recipe for this week is actually two: homemade pasta and homemade marinara sauce. I love Italian. My risotto is fantastic but I’m still working on my red sauce. Here is my latest attempt; the flavor was great but it needed to simmer longer.
**Warning** I didn’t measure anything when I made this recipe, it was a spur of the moment thing when I was hungry.
- 1C. Flour
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- 2-3 Tbs. Cold Water
- Whisk together flour and salt.
- Mix in egg.
- Once mixed completely start adding water one tablespoon at a time. At this point it is easier to mix the dough by hand. You don’t want your dough to be too sticky. If it is, add a little bit more flour.
- Once the dough is the right consistency, hook up the pasta maker. Run the dough through in about walnut sized balls. Slice at desired length. Hang on drying rack.
- When ready to cook add pasta to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes before draining.
- Tomatoes (I used grape and cherry tomatoes because it was I had available)
- Fresh Garlic (three to four cloves; I used three big ones)
- Fresh Basil Leaves (I used four but next time will up to six)
- Fresh Oregano (a small handful of leaves)
- Fresh Thyme (I just used a few leaves)
- Small White Onion
- Olive Oil
- On a baking sheet place whole tomatoes, garlic, and basil leaves. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast in oven at 350℉ for 25 minutes.
- Dice onions, saute in olive oil until clear. Turn down heat to a simmer add oregano and thyme leaves.
- Add roasted tomatoes, garlic, and basil to pot. Use an immersion blender to blend all ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for at least an hour.
Enjoy your pasta with this sauce or with any other that you enjoy. I hope that you have a great Friday and a great weekend!