I know, I talked about Kansas last week and immediately turned around and talked about a different state. This trail is a couple hours drive from where we stayed in Kansas and I have been wanting to hike Black Mesa for a while.
Black Mesa Summit is the highest point in the state of Oklahoma and hiking this trail is free! Although I will admit that the trailhead for this trail is in the middle of nowhere. There is very little cell service but there are signs pointing you in the right directions. Make sure you are carrying water and snacks. There is a restroom at the trailhead but no running water.
Keltin and I aren’t mountaineers, so we probably won’t hike the highest elevation in each state, however, we will visit the once we are able to. Due to that fact Denali is off the list, although I have seen Denali. Here are all 50 state high points.
This was a fun hike but we were exhausted afterwards. We were both excited to get back to the trailhead. I would not suggest hiking this trail at the height of summer, there is very little shade on the trail. Have you been on only good trails recently? Is your state high point a place worth visiting? Let me know in the comments! Safe travels and leave no trace.
Thank you KW Photography for allowing me to use your wonderful photos!
If you like the banner check out this design and others at Canva!
2 comments on “Oklahoma: Black Mesa Summit”
Here are the key points from the given text:
1. The Black Mesa Summit is the highest point in Oklahoma and hiking is free.
2. The trailhead for this trail is remote and there is very little cell service.
3. Visitors should carry water and snacks since there is no running water on the trail.
4. The trail is exhausting and lacks shade, therefore, it is recommended not to hike it during the peak of summer.
5. The author provides a link to the 50 state high points for those who are interested.
LikeLiked by 1 person