We have all heard how much plastic is out in the world polluting the oceans, killing wildlife and making the world an ugly place. Recycling is a good start to helping reduce waste but I wanted to do something more in my daily life. A while ago I had switched to using bar soap instead of body wash in a bottle and over time that progressed into using an activated charcoal bar as face wash but I wanted to do more.
Recently I made the move to shampoo and conditioner bars. I will saw up front that currently shampoo bars are not cheap. However, I feel that the money is worth not buying the plastic. Here are some good things about them:
- They smell great and most brands have different types for different types of hair
- They are small and take up much less room in the shower.
- You can travel with them because they are not liquid.
- The ones I bought are supposed to last about 80 washes (I’ll update you mid-October)
- The shampoo bar lathers very well.
Something else that I do to reduce my plastic use is to bring my reusable bags with me to the grocery store. I have a set for both my boyfriend and me to keep in our vehicles. If you shop at Target they will give you a small discount if you bring and use reusable bags rather than using plastic ones. Speaking of little discounts Starbucks will also give you a small discount if you bring in and use your own cup rather than using a disposable one. These discounts aren’t much but they they add up over time.
What do you do to reduce your plastic use?