We have all heard how much plastic is out in the world polluting the oceans, killing wildlife and making the world an ugly place. Recycling is a good start to helping reduce waste but I wanted to do something more in my daily life. A while ago I had switched to using bar soap instead of body wash in a bottle and over time that progressed into using an activated charcoal bar as face wash but I wanted to do more.
Recently I made the move to shampoo and conditioner bars. I will saw up front that currently shampoo bars are not cheap. However, I feel that the money is worth not buying the plastic. Here are some good things about them:
- They smell great and most brands have different types for different types of hair
- They are small and take up much less room in the shower.
- You can travel with them because they are not liquid.
- The ones I bought are supposed to last about 80 washes (I’ll update you mid-October)
- The shampoo bar lathers very well.
Something else that I do to reduce my plastic use is to bring my reusable bags with me to the grocery store. I have a set for both my boyfriend and me to keep in our vehicles. If you shop at Target they will give you a small discount if you bring and use reusable bags rather than using plastic ones. Speaking of little discounts Starbucks will also give you a small discount if you bring in and use your own cup rather than using a disposable one. These discounts aren’t much but they they add up over time.
What do you do to reduce your plastic use?
If you like the banner check out this design and others at Canva!